Saturday, October 20, 2012

My first time: The Mindsunder

I've owned this pack for a couple months, but I didn't get around to running it until now.

I enjoyed the quests. My favorite feature is how each of the quests really changes environments. It helps that much of the action happens in a dream-reality where the rules of normal reality don't apply. But even so, I really appreciated how the adventure had parts, and that each part had a different setting. Changing scenes is a rudimentary storytelling technique but it's done really well in the Mindsunder quests. Bravo for an adventure pack that genuinely feels out of this world! :D

Loot wise, there's no "must have" named Dwarven axes but that shouldn't be a problem for anyone but me.

As far as XP, I felt like The Mindsunder was outrageously generous until I learned about the +25% xp bonus. Taking that into account the XP seems generous but not bonus-weekendly so.

That said, it could be that all the flattery heaped upon me by the other players made this a sweeter experience. My tank paladin was rocksolid through out the quests. I did switch my gear around a bit, I got rid of Kilau's band and necklace (+1d4 slashing, from ToD) an swapped in a otherwise plain +15 intimidate ring and a golden guile (for improved deception). I also swapped out the Madstone towershield for a cannith crafting heavy shield (+20% incite and lifeshield).

It feels like my intimidates are working more reliably although I'm still waiting for Defender of Sybris III when I hit level 20. I don't notice the lifeshield text that much, but it sure feels like I need way less self healing than before. Then again, since these are new quests I don't have a good baseline for comparison.

It makes me kinda wish I still had my stallwart trinket from Smuggler's Cove. Currently I've got an upgraded Head of Good Fortune (for the Heavy Fort mostly) but I wonder about putting the heavy fort somewhere else and seeing how that stoneskin effect changes things.

The item I want most is an upgraded Quiver of Alacrity but I've never completed Abbot. But that's a post for another day....

Long and short of it is that I'm very happy with the Eberon side of DDO. I'm so happy that I've totaly forgotten about all the newstuff going on in the Forgotten Realms.

...Gah! I see what I did there.

2 comments:

  1. My ranger hates you. You have a Kilau's Band and you're not using it????

    (Also, he agrees that there need to be MORE awesome DAxes. He's got a grand total of... one named DAxe. Why? Because most of 'em suck! He wants paired epic Templar's Justices with metalline slotted, though, those'll be sweet... one axe down, one axe, two shards, two scrolls, and two seals to go...)

    Every character I have wants an upgraded Quiver of Alacrity. Even the ones with Cannith Boots or Boots of the Woodsman already. Of course, that means actually doing something in the Orchard at some point...

    I've only done the Path of Inspiration once (well, I think my group farmed Mindsunder a couple of times...) but it was fun. Especially I Dream of Jeets. Tidy lasses and pints out the wazoo, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @LrdSlvrhnd

    Hate is essential for the development of young Dwarf's beard. Click here to read more about my Killau jackpot which did not happen to you. Remember: Take care of your beard health. Only YOU can prevent elf face.

    ReplyDelete