Tuesday, October 16, 2012

He is making a hat. He says: "it is for me!"

When I was a kid my parents were always buying me educational entertainment. They're both teachers so they're into that stuff. One such gift was vinyl record, a "Commander Whitehall audio adventure" starring the titular Commander himself. According to the record cover the Commander was traveling the world, seeing strange animals, making new friends and learning about other cultures in a way that appeals to young boys.

But in truth, it was just one guy telling a story in a Paladin voice with some sound effects. He said he traveled to Equidor, saw the equator, got a hat, saw a parade. But since the voice actor had no idea what Equidorians sound like he carried both sides of the conversations. "I am in a beautiful villiage here in Equidor. The people here are friendly. I thank them "Thank you! You are too kind!'" He is making a hat. He says: "it is for me!" "

But most of the record was just the sound of Commander Whitehall driving his Jeep along a mountain path. Oddly there were no mountain sounds, so basicaly it's just six miniutes of listening to a jeep's engine. No wheels, no gravel crunching, no lamas or birdsong.

Well, that's what Reaver's Fate was like today. Our fearless leader didn't even put any funny piking joke in the LFM. There was just the name of the raid "Reaver's Fate." I almost didn't recognize it without the sarcasm.

So, in I went. Fake-DPSing with my non-Giant bane non-DR breaker. And then giving up the pretext entirely and AFK piking. Exactly one load of dishes later, I returned as the Stormreaver died. I ran to the stairs and did an autoran at the forcefield.

Forcefield?

Doesn't the forcefield drop when the lever is pulled? Yes it does.

And what happens when it doesn't? The quest fails by killing everyone and grief-dropping their soulstones on the lever. Ha ha developers. Reeeal funny.

A quick reform and we're back in again. This time I bring my A-game. I out-tank everyone and pull the Reaver into the center. Not that I care about greenbeard, no I want all eyes focused on me, the mighty tank. Everyone must watch as I pull an amazing feat of PRR! (Physical Resistance Rating)

Suddenly the gravity flips. Up I fall upward through the spikey hole of death. I richochete off the spikes and hit mouse button 14 of 25 activating fire resistance clickie. I press it again, activating my cloak as more spikes rip huge bloody numbers from my head. I toggle the scroll wheel left twice click click, and press button 14 of 25 a third time. The animation for Lay on Hands begins. I crash land on more spikes. It's possible that I could survive a third hit because of my PRR and hitpoints, but no. I die and everyone laughs at me.

But I have the last laugh after the quest is done. "The chest contains a Reaver's Sigil. It says: "it is for me!"

1 comment:

  1. Now that you learned the hard way, maybe pull him in corner next time? ;)

    ReplyDelete