Sunday, October 7, 2012

Bah! Schrödinger's catted again!

My self-imposed exile started on Korthos but it ended in Vision of Destruction with the slaying of Suulomades.

Why Vod? Vision of Destruction holds a special place in my memory because it was my first "real" DDO raid. The loot is fantastic, binds to character on pickup, and causes anger and resentment if you don't re-distribute it correctly.

Alot of those hardfeelings went away with the True Reincarnation system. Now you can take ANY raid loot and if anyone complains just say you're gonna TR into the (item appropriate class) next life.

The other thing I really liked about VoD is how fail-prone the Raid was. It's a very short raid, just one extended battle in a small arena, and so it's easier to accept a total party wipe and have enough of a raid group for a quick second attempt.

So how was it?
Honestly I was very dissapointed. Our group had so many Epic Level characters there wasn't any real threat of failure. I really missed that.

But at least we got some neat raid loot. I won the roll for a Vengeful Protector, a heavy shield that is an upgrade to my current Madstone shield. (I'm so tired of looking at that ugly hunk of crystal!)

But I hear you, my loyal readers, asking "Yes, but what about the probability themed soul crushing pathos promised in my thread title?" Well here it is:

So the guy who put the Vengeful Protector up for roll said something like:

"Vengefull Protector up for roll."

And then someone else said "Bracers of the Glaicer up for roll" and the screen was filled with /roll d100

So then the Vengeful Protector guy said, "Vengefull Protector d87"

I rolled a 25 on the d87, I won and it was passed to me. Someone else won the braciers of the glacier and they took it and left.

But then someone else spoke up on the mic, saying that they had rolled a d100 for the vengefull protector *before* the bracers of the glacer were put up for roll. And since he rolled 100, it should have been his by right.

I kept silent and let the two of them argue it out. As a compromise they decided to let him have a do over. Since my d87 was a 25, I wasn't feeling too confident about it.

He rolled a 79 and so the Vengefull Protector was lost -- forever.

In retrospect, I feel confident that he won the shield fair and square. But man I miss that Vengefull Protector. I'm so tired of looking at this ugly hunk of crystal!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry guy, you won that roll fair and square, and should have looted as soon as it was passed to you. 1 he rolled the wrong die which is a DQ in my book and 2, he rolled after the deadline. He tried to win the lottery with the right number wrong day or right number wrong ticket. It just doesn't work. Good for you for not sweating it though, too many people get their knickers in a twist about raid loot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot, and darn... I agree with Xavier. Good luck in a few days!

    ReplyDelete