Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cannith Crafting: how I learned to stop worrying and love the cranking sound

At first I was planning to attack head on Cannith Crafting and bang out some levels really fast. I got a Royal Guard Mask for rapid transit to the house K Crafting hall (shoudn't that make it the Kraft-ing hall?) and a new bag as big as my greed for all the essences and shards I would soon have.

But despite all my effort my progress was unbearably slow. I still kept teleporting to the crafting hall, and I still jammed nearly everything into the hopper and ground it up for essenses. Occasionaly I crafted some lowby gear -- I especialy liked helmets, because there are so many styles to choose from.

Until, suddenly, something amazing happened. My bag overflowed. I didn't notice because it overflowed into my other bags, but I did notice last night because all four of my ingredient bags overflowed into my backpack.

So... rather than waste them I went on a crafting spree and gained twenty levels (distributed among all three schools) Ten in Arcane, six in Divine and four in Elemental. It was fun to see those numbers increment after an eternity of not doing anything. And of course, it ended far far short of the big numbers that the uber-crafters brag about. But something caught my eye that doesn't sound right.

The forum is filled with people complaining about running out of small essences and the laborious agony of grinding larges into smalls. ...but I still have plenty of smalls and it's the LARGES that I've run out of.

Am I doing something differently? (AKA wrong)

I looked for shards with a very high percentage of success, and crafted whatever gave the most xp on either the bound or unbound side. Then I ground all the shards back into essences until everything fit into my large ingredient bag.

Anyway now I've got 65/50/49 and I'm looking forward to grinding everything I own whenever the next bonus weekend is.

Oh, and I decided not to grind up all the Thorn Guard and Good Luck +2 shards. I think I may use them sometime....

6 comments:

  1. I have the same 'lack of large' problem
    Bags are holding 2500 lesser and maybe 30 large of an essence ( although i have just done the same as you and had a crafting-a-rama day to clear out bags that were overflowing )
    Also why don't TP bought/lottery win essences stack with found ones in the shard machine ?
    So annoying when i have 15 greater want to create something that needs 12 but can't because the essences are in stacks of 10 and 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lessers start disappearing really quickly once you start crafting the bigger shards of Potential. You can easily drop 2k lessers to make an item have the potential for +14 worth of enchantments.

    But that's how I craft also. Grind up for a month or two, then buy a crafting XP pot and craft for 15 minutes. I can usually pick up 8-10 levels across the different schools before the XP pot disappears. I'm in the upper 90's in all schools now and still enjoy the concept as well as the "gear cleanup" items I can make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem. Lesser essences abound but Greater Essences are limiting to me. I don't know why they complain about the lesser essences. Maybe because of shards of potential?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just you, I always run out of larges, have several thousand of various small essences :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait till u hit higher levels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very similar to my experience. And to be honest, I am not rushing things. I know it will be tough at the higher levels but I dont want to make it a burden.

    And yes, the cracking sound is cool.

    ReplyDelete