Friday, November 2, 2012

Mabar Cloaks: Now witness the firepower of this armed and fully operational cloak rack!

I have all the Mabar: cloaks of Night I want. Here is my review of what I've got, what I don't and why.

Cloak of Night level 4:
This humble cloak is spectacular for self-healing melee. When hit you randomly turn invisible long enough to cast a few uninterrupted self-heals. Note that the cloak casts IMPROVED invisibility -- unlike regular invisibility, you can do anything without breaking it. You can fight, pull levers, open doors, cast spells, cast torches anything!

Additionaly, the invisibility looks cool -- dissapear in a swarm of bats. Perfect for showboating for the noobs in Waterworks.

Cloak of night LEVEL 8.
I choose not to own this cloak. Dusk is a nice upgrade but I zoom through this level range so quickly I didn't want to devote a precious inventory slot to this and the level 4 cloak. That said, it's also a sound choice to pick Dusk over showboating in Waterworks

Cloak of night 12:
Deathblock is the killer app on this cloak. There are other places to get deathblock but none is so convienient as this cloak. Deathward is generaly superior to death block, but deathblock is specifically Beholder-proof. Additionaly level 12 cloak is harmless so you can use it without worrying about accidentaly slaying something. 

If you only get one cloak of night, LEVEL 12 is the one to get.

Cloak of Night level 16: 

Two great upgrades: Ghostly and Nightmare guard. Ghostly thwarts the incorporeal miss chance that certain monsters have. Nightmare guard procs two attacks force and phantasmal killer. Phantasmal killer is great because it's instadeath. Force is great because it's seldom resisted. Finaly, this cloak gets a 1% dodge.

Ghostly is a huge upgrade for some types of characters but moot for others. I've been missing the level 16 cloak for a year, swapping in ghost touch gloves and stuff and I really really missed this cloak.

Cloak of Night 20:
Gains DR 5/good (which is basicaly DR 5 because honestly, who throws a shoe!?).  The Dodge 1% upgrades to dodge  2%. That was a huge upgrade for me when I got it, but now that Dodge works the post-MotU way, 2% dodge is only 1% better.

I'm happy to have this cloak but it's not a big deal on my current chararacter (Paladin Tank). That said, on my first life this cloak was tremendous -- the DR 5 really takes the sting out of papercuts.

Cloak of Night 24:
I own, but haven't played much of the MotU content yet. I was too busy using the Stone of XP to enjoy the endgame. As such I'm not sure how big a deal the extra Dodge and DR is for a "typical" player. But since I plan to keep TRing I don't have much use for Epic!-level gear.

TLDR; Cloak of Night is perfect for self-sufficent melee.

3 comments:

  1. :) Nice run down of the cloaks. I got 4, 8 and 16... but the 12 one seems good too. If I can afford it I might upgrade the 8's to 12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful information, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] gather enough resources to make a couple of ML12 Cloaks and a couple of ML 16 as well. I followed BossOfEarth advice on Cloaks. I could have done a ML4 for “showboating” but it will take me a loooong time to TR [...]

    ReplyDelete