Saturday, January 14, 2012

Yeah yeah. DDO got me good.

Late at night, I often play a quick game of DDO while my wife and baby sleep nearby. It's not ideal. My wife is a light sleeper and my baby cries at night. But I put on my headphones, type quietly, have fun, and no one's the wiser.

Except last night. I was favor farming some quests that leveled past. And then I happened upon my all time most hated quest: Faithful Departed.

Whenever I think of that quest I think of being poisioned constantly, of the PUG I was leading bickering and complaining. And I remember trying to methodicaly clear the last room, while completely unaware that entering the last room triggers a battle on top of a pyramid on the far side of the room. We also did not know that our side (the venerated) was doomed to fail if we did it the methodical way.

So, despite our multi-death sufferathon the unknown battle went against us and we were suddenly kicked out of the dungeon. Did we win? Did we lose? Was it a bug? We didn't know at first. And then we found out and we hated Faithful Departed with all our might.

But last night I returned with my level 13 Paladin to tackle that level 8 quest. It was much easier now that I'm higher level and am dripping with greensteel and raid loot. And, with the help of my trusty hireling, I managed to save one of the venerated and unbeknownst to me, skip the other one and head streight to the big fight at the pyramid.

En route, I ran down a  staircase. It was trapped but I didn't know it. Just as I was half way down the whole staircase turned into a forest of spiketraps. KA-KLUNK! I screamed a blood curdling scream, and franticly slapped the spacebar. "NoNoNo!" I thought hystericly. "Jump away from the spikes live live live!" BUT I WAS TOO LATE! Damage data erupted from the top of my Dwarf Paladin's head as he lept away from the trapped staircase. I watched with horror as my hitpoints dropped from 497 to 491.

The wife and kid woke up, and it was a huge hassle to get them back to sleep. But I gotta hand it to you DDO, you got me good. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment