Monday, July 9, 2012

DDO made me sad.

This morning my wife asked me "Hon, why are you sad?"

I wasn't sure. Life, in general is pretty fantastic right now. I slept all night while my wife tended our 2 month old girl, and this morning when I watched her she was very mellow. My coffee was great. The cake was perhaps too rich and sweet to qualify as a "sensible breakfast" but nothing to complain about. I was genuinely flummoxed. I was sad, of that I was certain. But why?

Then it hit me -- DDO made me sad.

Earlier that morning I was Elite Streaking Tangleroot. I found a Lightning-Split Soarwood, I killed a bunch of hobgoblins, I was having fun. But then, I couldn't find the guy I needed to kill to take his map. I searched the dungeon once, and then twice there was nothing there except for this dumb spike trap that I kept forgetting was there. Lucky for me, my character is a high hitpoint Dwarf Tank. Remember the bug last week with Elite Waterworks Part 3 and the acid hallway of Dooooom? Not a problem for my Dwarf Tank. Run through, chug pots, problem solved.

But finding the guy that can't be found? Not fun. Finaly I figured it out. I was trying to find an unconnected island in a maze with the left hand rule. (Graph theory: I was doing it wrong!) But I found the entrance. I rushed in, noticed a handy shrine behind a locked door, and ran up the ramp.

*SWISH!*

A blade trap sprung out of the wall. The game froze as Windows 7 chose that exact moment to suddenly begin the backing up of data. Five seconds later, the game resumed. I was dead. My pet was dead. My Hireling was dead.

I finished out and tried to race back before the quest timed out. Too slow.

And then I realized, that just before I got hit with the trap I had opened the doors to a shrine.

So I told her. I said I was playing DDO today and I stepped on a trap. She laughed and showed me a comic about first world problems of the 90s.

2 comments:

  1. I've done worse :)
    When I started playing DDO I got the rez cake which you got through a quest for something like 5tp in Korthos, at least then it was so. And when I finally decided to use my treasured cake it was my first time doing Gwylans Stand, the embarrasing thing was that there was a rez shrine just beyond the next corner and I could have easily reached it from my soulstone, if I would have known that it was there :/

    ReplyDelete