Sunday, January 31, 2010

New character, new spell

With my new Bard I chose Otto's resistable dance instead of Charm person.

I was unhappy with charm person. It's a great spell in theory but in practice it's a hastle. The charmed persons are so fragile and harmless it's easier to just whack them with my medium BAB and -1 STR mod. What's worse, in the only Korthos combat that has any use for CC (Misery's peak, against the swarm of cultists on the ice stairs) my charmed persons woke up the facinated crowds.

I'm much happier with the replacement spell Otto's resistable dance. The target keeps dancing even after getting struck. The animation is fun to watch. The range is very short though so I'll have to get used to that. I've got to break my Cleric habits of being able to cast at distant targets.

Since these spells are new to me, I'm going to eschew Charm person for Suggestion. Looks more useful since it works on more than just persons. Shorter durration but once it takes effect there's no save to snap out of it early. Should make it more predictable and longer lasting in those rare cases I get a lucky roll against a high Will target.

No comments:

Post a Comment