Tuesday, January 15, 2013

U17: NEW augment system + my main = Panic!

You can read the offical announcement here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=404669

I'm excited. This new augment system consolidates and replaces two systems I never used: EPIC and GUILD crafting.

EPIC CRAFTING was fun to read about. I thought long and hard about putting in the time and effort to get some gear and slotting it with something cool. But by the time I was epic questing ready True Reincarnation was released. Insufficient dedication to the endgame means I traded all my tokens for hearts of wood and never did anything with Epic Augment Crystals.

GUILD CRAFTING did not appeal to me. I was in a big and successful guild but even so, I didn't like the timers on the stuff.

So, since Ive never done either of those, I'm looking at the NEW augment system with fresh eyes. I'm asking "is it better than nothing for TR twinking?"

CLEAR: Not interesting to me. At low and mid level, Clear slots offer attribute bonuses that are comparatively weak.

RED: These will provide a small boost to my Cannith Crafted twink gear. The ability to do an extra 1d2 fire damage in Waterworks will be fun. I also have an eye on the byshyk augment for that pesky Devourer of Dreams.

BLUE: These go on shields and armor by default. So for me that will probably just be armor. There's plenty of nice things, and I suspect that a blue Slot on armor will compete pretty well with named armors.

YELLOW: Far weaker than RED or BLUE but available on everything. This looks great to me, I can really see getting some flexability out of this.

PURPLE, GREEN, ORANGE: These hybrid colors are exclusively assigned according to the whims of the Devs (which is the same thing as random, but more arbitrary.) I'll reserve judgement until I see how they parcel them out.

NAMED AUGMENTS: What are they good for? It is a mystery.

Additionaly, I'm glad that GIANTHOLD RELICS are used to buy augments from vendors. As it stands now, I think that the new augment system will play a minor role in equiping my TRs.

Bravo Turbine. Now hurry up! :)

1 comment:

  1. Keep in mind that the augment is in addition to what's on the item.

    One example of named augment is the imperial globe - +1 exceptional to all stats. I see good things with this system.

    ReplyDelete