Saturday, May 28, 2011

Champions Online MMO

My friend asked me to try CO. I asked him to try DDO.

I like CO's cosmetics system. There are lots of of options to make goofy looking toons with bright and bold colors. The noobs were arrayed in all colors but ebony and crimson was an especialy popular color combo.

The wilderness zones remind me of Grand Theft Auto in a good way, lots of themed neighborhoods sectioned off by surreal vertical barriers.

But after being away for a week, I saw DDO with fresh eyes. DDO graphics really shine! My Plate of the Defender, which I have long decried as the ugliest armor ever, never looked so good. I also like that DDO's humanoid models look good and move responsively with a convincing walk cycle.

CO plays like Kobold Assault. In any given area, all the baddies are wimpy clones, but still dangerous because they respawn so quickly. There's no traps and no hazards (like drowning, scalding steam pipes, or death by lava) so you can run around killing and collecting with impunity. It lacks the same quality of player-environment interaction that a good DDO level has.

The difference between F2P models is eye-opening. CO is essentialy offering a demo. Both games allow you to level up to cap on f2p content, but DDO lets you build your character, whereas CO only has pre-built archetypes for you to test drive.

I don't imagine that I'll play CO long term unless they offer a non-subscription way to build your own character. I might start up a few more free accounts so I can make up more superhero costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment